"Thank You" Rainbow - Rowing Challenge
In collaboration with our partners Race The Distance, we are responding to the dozens of messages and emails we have had about designing a challenge and medal in order to symbolize the spirit of the recent lock down, and in some cases give thanks to someone special.
Row either 1000 metres, 2000 metres, 5000 metres, 10000 metres, 1/2 marathon or full marathon on a rowing machine, on water or a combination of the both to win your exclusive medal and certificate.
If you do not currently have access to a machine at present, feel free to complete the challenge by any means.
Regardless of age or ability, rowing helps you to build confidence and rapidly regain fitness.
For this challenge, we will be sending all medals out immediately - there is no need to submit your details to receive your medal, although you are still welcome to do this.
The charity chosen is the NHS Charities Together.
There are more than 250 NHS charities across the UK and most of them focus on helping our hospitals do more. Collectively these charities give £1 million every day to the NHS so that people can stay well for longer and get better faster. In recent years NHS charities have funded major capital projects, pioneering research and medical equipment at our hospitals, helping patients access the best possible care when they need it most.
Details of their Covid-19 Appeal, which we are supporting with this challenge;
Our amazing NHS staff and volunteers are working tirelessly to care for COVID-19 patients. And we want them to know the country has also got their back. We are so proud and in awe of NHS staff and volunteers as they work tirelessly to save lives! This means staying away from their homes and families, working day and night, to treat as many people as possible in need of care.
We, the nation, can help. Let's show our gratitude and respect for the frontline NHS, and together beat this virus.
As NHS staff and volunteers look after COVID-19 patients in their greatest hour of need, we can help take care of the well-being of our NHS people.
AND YOU CAN HELP!
Do the following:
1) Follow NHS and Government guidance about how to keep others and yourself safe.
2) Support your family and friends through your social messaging and communication networks Support your local NHS. We have 140 NHS charities dedicated to supporting patient care at their hospitals, ambulance trusts, mental and community health bodies. To find yours click here
3) Donate to this NHS Charities National campaign that acknowledges and supports NHS Staff and volunteering caring for COVID-19 patients.
1) Funding well-being packs/gifts for staff and volunteers on wards/departments (this could include food deliveries, high energy/protein bars/drinks, snacks, refreshments, wash kits, overnight stay kits.)
2) Cost of travel, parking, accommodation for NHS staff and volunteers Volunteer expenses
3) Other items as requested by NHS Charities that enhance the well-being of NHS staff and volunteers caring for COVID-19 patients.
This list is not exhaustive.
WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER. HELP THEM HELP US.
They also play a key role in mobilising volunteers to support NHS staff, brightening wards and waiting areas with colourful and engaging art and building an important link between our hospitals and our communities. Other NHS charities support mental health trusts, community health trusts and ambulance trusts.
What is a virtual challenge? A virtual challenge can done from any location you choose. You can row, run, jog, walk, cycle, swim, use a wheelchair - whatever you choose and however you choose to complete a distance. There is no restriction on discipline for this challenge. We aim to be as inclusive as impossible.
Submitting and Claiming your Medal
There is no deadline to complete and submit your results. We will send out the medal and certificate immediately, so please be careful not to open it before your challenge is complete. Don't worry - there will be a warning on the envelope.
You can submit your result once completed by clicking below if you wish to enter the annual hall of fame (the fastest 3 individuals across all distances during the year). Proof such as an app screenshot can be uploaded here. Proof of completion and time is needed to qualify for the top three places.